Friday, August 13, 2010

N.U.R.S.E.?

Last summer, I worked as a teacher assistant for the Accelerated Bachelors of Science in Nursing (ABSN) program at my school. Over the course of almost 14 straight insane monthes, these students are trained and prepped for the NCLEX (Nursing licensing exam). When I met this group, I had one year of nursing school under my belt, but also quite a few years of teaching experience. The combo was fun for me, because I did have some knowledge to share, but also learned a lot from them as this was the first time I taught people my age and older. The experience was a blast, and ultimately instrumental in helping me pass my own licensing exam. Teaching can sometimes be the best way to learn material.

Since last summer, this class has graduated and are now in the midst of sitting for the NCLEX. I've already had a few of them let me know that they have passed, and are now registered nurses. While I knew they could do it, I am very proud of how far they have come in just over a year. I have fond memories of showing some people how to use their stethoscopes correctly (to be fair, this can be slightly tricky with certain scopes that have very subtle setting differences that if you don't know are there, will drive you crazy).

As I thought about this group and their process so far, I began to think about some of the individuals I know now as friends from this group, and how diverse they are in personality, interest, and life experiences. And yet, I know they will all be exceptional nurses.

This then lead to me wonder what NURSE would stand for if it were an acronym. I came up with the following-

Never Underestimate Really Strong Empathy

Newly Unemployed Registered (nurse), Seeking Employment

New, Untiring, Ready, Seeking Experience

NCLEX, U Really Suck, Especially (before I take you)

Nerdy, Understanding, Reliable, Sincere... Exhausted

Nutty, Unflappable, Reflective, Strong, Excellent

My point with this? There isn't one mold for what makes a good nurse, and the components that make up a good nurse are fantastically varied.

If you come up with more- I'd love to see them.

Oh, and Happy Friday the 13th!!

No comments:

Post a Comment