Friday, September 3, 2010

New music infatuation

When I was a kid, my Dad introduced me to the music of Sam Cooke, Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong, Marvin Gaye, Buddy Holly, The Temptations, the soundtrack to 'American Graffiti (at one point I had the song sequences committed to memory), Roy Orbison and many other amazing artists. Clearly, he has helped shape my eclectic and varied music preferences. Over the years, I have had many encounters with people who are older than me (by say, at least 10 years) who are ultimately surprised by my love for old R&B, etc. There was something about my young age that would throw them off- "How do you know who Buddy Holly is?!"

This hasn't happened for a while now, but was quite hilarious when it did in my late teens and early 20's. I would proudly say that my Dad has done right by me by sharing such musical wonders with me from a very young age (He also got me hooked on Abbott & Costello, The Marx Brothers and comics/graphic novels...but that will have to be a post another time).

Recently, he told me about this singer that he was fixated on. Her name- Janelle Monae. The he showed me this music video. I was blown away. So funky and sweet. Then I found this song. I really like this one, maybe even more than the first one, and have been listening to it over and over again. The videos are interesting to me in how different they are, but both very striking.

Thanks, Dad, keep'em coming:)

Enjoy:)

No comments:

Post a Comment