Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Hey wait, this door isn't automatic or, why migraines SUCK

We've had some soggy weather in and around Beantown over the last few days. I still haven't figured out all of my triggers for my (now deliciously infrequent) migraines, but I have found that weather can play a part. If I had been paying attention today, I would have noticed a pre headache funk that I attributed to waking up on the wrong side of the bed/universe/what have you. Regardless, by the time I realized the headache had a migrainey flavour to it, it was too late. Not sure if others experience this with migraines, but I seem to have a window of time where taking meds will help. But if I miss it, anything I take more often than not will not help the headache that much.

I was at the library when the headache took over full force. James had just dropped me off on his way to meet up with a friend, and I was returning some books and movies and planning to take out another movie (at $1 per movie for a week, beats other rental places like whoa). I knew I was in trouble when I was trying to read movie titles and tilting my head brought on nausea. Also, the words were blurry. And the lights were way to bright. These are common migraine symptoms and I knew I needed to go home. Somehow, I managed to pick a movie and headed home.

I remembered that I needed to get more Advil, so I went into the CVS on the way home. Man, those lights were bright! I walked around, squinting, found what I needed, grabbed a few other things and went to check out. I stood there feeling groggy, fuzzy, slightly nauseous, and with a pounding head. The cashier asked if I wanted everything in one bag or more. I literally couldn't understand him, or the importance of the question. I believe I mumbled something about putting them in the white bag (all CVS bags are white), and headed towards the door.

This was not my first time in this CVS. In fact, I have been there many times because it is really close to my house. So it is a mystery to me why on this day, my befuddled brain thought that the doors were automatic. They have never been, so why would they be today? That I don't know. What I do know is that I then proceeded to walk right into the door, because a part of my brain was waiting for it to open. When it didn't, the feedback loop was running a little slow, and I hit the door and THEN realized I had to open it first.

Needless to say, that didn't really help my headache. Yeesh.

I did, miraculously, make it home and then did what usually helps with my migraines- laying in a darkened room until it passes.

It did, and I felt remarkably better, though a little raw in the temple and ego areas:)

So, lesson of the day- Listen to your body- it is giving you cues. And maybe not leave the house if you are experiencing a migraine:)

No comments:

Post a Comment