Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Ode to snow

It's about noon on Wednesday as I write this. It has been steadily snowing since about midnight. Yesterday, way before the snow started, schools and medical offices were announcing closings. I woke up this morning to a white world.

Pretty much every winter I whine and complain about living in a place where it gets cold and snowy. I hate dealing with ice and having to change the way I dress or walk when dealing with ice patches or two feet of snow.

I got up this morning around 6am to see what it was like outside. It had been lightly snowing when I went to bed and I wasn't expecting much. It looked like someone had literally dumped a foot plus of snow on the world.

It was beautiful.

And silent. There is a type of quiet that only exists when it snows. I had forgotten how much I loved it.

As I stood there admiring (and feeling a little humbled by) nature, I realized that as much as I complain, I have to admit there are a couple things I like (maybe love?) about snow.

Nothing slows the world down like a good snow fall. Yes, this can also be infuriating. Especially when one is traveling and trying to get home. But if one is home and not needing to get anywhere, it is lovely.

Snow days! I don't have school today! I got to sleep in, have a late late late breakfast with James (another bonus- we are both unexpectedly home today), and am still in my PJs at noon. It's a great excuse to curl up with a book, warm drink and hibernate.

(I just asked James what he liked about snow- he likes doing doughnuts in his truck in parking lots. I have to pass on this, and leave it to him and our friend Seth to enjoy. Have fun guys. I'll be in the house NOT getting nauseous.)

Come tomorrow, I will probably not be feeling as romantic about the snow as I trek in it to my clinical. Or when I slip and slide on the ice I can't see.

But until then, I am going to stay in my PJs, drink warm drinks, read books and curl up with my hubby.

Happy snow day!

No comments:

Post a Comment