Sunday, May 15, 2011

Movie Moment- The Green Hornet (2011)

I remember seeing the preview for The Green Hornet a while back and thinking it wasn't going to be that good. But when James rented it this weekend I figured I'd give it chance.

Next time, I am going to stick to my first impression.

Britt Reid (Seth Rogen), rich boy slacker extraordinaire, decides after his father's death to become the Green Hornet to, you know, do something with his life. At his side is Kato (Jay Chou), his father's former mechanic and coffee maker, who just happens to be an ass kicking tech genius. Reid decides to, unlike other 'good guys', pretend to be a bad guy so he can get closer to the bad guys and THEN be a good guy.

The bottom, painful line with this movie was the writing. The gadgets were cool, the effects visually inviting. But the dialogue was so awful it was distracting. I kept wondering if the plan while shooting the scenes was to just ad lib and see what happened.

I was hopeful when I saw the casting choice for the main bad dude in the plot- Christoph Waltz. He was downright terrifying in Inglourious Basterds. He too suffered from the writing though he did try to keep the sinister vibe going but at best limped along just like the rest of the dialogue.

I give Rogen credit for playing a role outside of his usual goofball caricature, but at the same time I had a hard time taking him seriously is this flick.

I give this movie 3 out of 10. I got up after the first hour and went and did other things while James trucked on through, then came back at the end to see if it got any better. It didn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment