Wednesday, August 15, 2012

How my Harbor to the Bay ride became a family affair

Hello!

Apologies for the delay in cycling and general updates- life has been quite tumultuous recently and things are finally settling down.

Besides my altruistic reasons for deciding to do the ride, there was a very personal desire to be distracted from myself as James and I tried to start a family. As anyone who has been in the midst of the baby wanting mindset, sometimes it's very hard to not obsess...especially when you tell yourself to not think about it.

I knew I needed a healthy outlet and the ride was ideal. It gave me something else to focus on that I could control and have fun with.

When I announced the ride, a dear friend predicted that I would get ready for the ride and in the midst of the summer prep time I would get pregnant. She actually used the phrase, "Mark my words!"

Well, as I sit here writing this, three months pregnant, I have to say she totally 100% called it.

Needless to say, we are very excited about this turn of events.

The first trimester wasn't particularly pleasant. My energy was completely gone, eating became a chore (who knew food could seem so gross!?) and I couldn't get enough sleep even with getting 10-12 hours/day. My training for the ride became nonexistent. I tried to convince myself I still had time. Then I thought about doing the half ride (60 miles), but I still wasn't able to get more than 10 miles on a ride without getting sick, having to pee every 15 minutes or becoming utterly exhausted. Let's just say I became very grateful for the shops and cafes on the bike path.

Then we met with the fantastic midwife who will be working with us through the course of this adventure. When telling her about the ride and how hard the training has been, she expressed concern and advised against it. While I was sad to hear that, I can't say I was totally surprised. Neither was James. Even the 60 mile half ride seemed quite daunting... especially when trying to do something active everyday (even just a walk!) was so challenging. So I've decided to step back.

But what, you may be asking yourself, about the ride and the donations?

I'm very happy, and grateful, to share that James will be riding in my place! He is a long time cyclist and true lover of recumbent bikes. I'm pretty sure he'll be the most comfortable rider that day. I look forward to celebrating with him when he arrives in P-town.

So my donations are now his and we are ALMOST there!!!! If you haven't yet donated, there's still time- we have a month to go! And believe me- any amount will help.

https://www.harbortothebay.
org/personal.asp?rider=288

Thank you to everyone who is helping with what is now a family event:)

Peace love and saltines,
Ariel

No comments:

Post a Comment