Thursday, March 26, 2020

Corona Quarantine: Day 14- Silent.

I was talking with my aunt last night about the increase of work and the announcement from the governor yesterday about schools staying closed until at least May.

At one point she said, "But keep in mind, there aren't any bombs!"

She was referring to the time in our lives when we lived in Israel during the first gulf war (1990). 
We were out of school for 6 weeks.
There were explosions at night (I can't remember how frequent, but not rare. Enough to establish a life long trigger hate for fireworks, among other big sounds).
I do remember being home; I don't remember being home that long. And I do remember being scared. All the time.

I'm scared or worried a lot of the time now. 
It's true, there are no bombs overhead. 
But truth be told, I think this is worse.
You know what to expect with bombs- you can see/hear them and their impact.
This pandemic virus is invisible until it is not. It is silent and sneaky and can be lethal and it thrives in ways we are still learning, while trying to fight it.
There is no warning whistle as it comes for you and it doesn't always (in fact rarely) comes from the same place. The bombs always came down from the sky. This is everywhere...or at least feels like it could be everywhere.

Yes, I do think this is worse than bombs.

No comments:

Post a Comment