Monday, March 16, 2020

Corona Quarantine: Day 4- Living and learning.


Today was the first Monday of home days for a while that are not regular home days aka the weekend. We set up a 'schedule'. It's meant to be a guide for the day that is clear but not rigid. The post-its are ideas/suggestions for that day, but not requirements. James is home with the kiddos this week. They did a FaceTime science class with some friends about amphibian eggs. They even did most of the post-its! We expect their days to evolve as this situation evolves. We've been purposeful in involving them in the ideas for projects and also maintaining clear expectations around care and cleaning through the day.

And I was back at work today. I was kind of nervous- I wasn't sure what to expect. Like most clinical settings right now, a lot is in flux. There are still a few hundred students on campus. Our amazing nursing staff figured out a good triage process that I think works pretty well. We all talked about doing more Telehealth/Telemedicine/phone triage, especially for those of us who might need to be home for family care. I have to admit that up until very recently, I was not the biggest fan of telemedicine models. I was a bit of a snob...an ableist snob about it to be frank. Then this all happened and it has changes how we need to engage with our patients. All I did today was email and calls with patients and it was really productive and helpful and I am glad to realize I was wrong about these forms of medical communication.

The pic below is from my lunch time walk on the now very quiet campus.



No comments:

Post a Comment