Monday, October 10, 2011

Lovefest, revisited.

Here we are. At our first wedding anniversary.

It's a strange one, this first year. Even though the passage of time between then and now was most definitely 365 days (most of said days involving nursing school madness), it really does feel like it just happened. It's so surreal, like my very own episode of the 'Twilight Zone'.

The morning of the wedding was very relaxed. Our friends, Seth and Elena, came over and we all signed the Ketubah and had breakfast together. They drove us to the venue. I remember sitting in the back seat with James, holding hands. It was a funny moment for me. There was something very young/kid-like feeling about being driven somewhere Very Important but I was also aware of where we were being driven to and felt like a strong, awesome grown up person.

The other night, James and I reflected on what it was like getting ready. There were similar themes of relaxed easygoing energy, being surrounded by loved ones, silliness, happiness and snacks. The snacks were brought in by the folks recently married who knew the drill and speed of the rest of the day. These were the same folks who repeatedly checked in throughout the reception to make sure James and I were eating. You guys were awesome.

There was an hour (I think it was an hour… while some memories have crystallized in my mind, others are a delicious blur) of photo taking before we lined up. The weather was amazing. There are so so so many pictures from the day that I just love, and this one below is one of the ones that tugs at my heart just so. I think part of it is because I can’t believe our amazing photographer was able to catch it. Right before their turn to process, my two maids of honor, my cousins… sisters, really, turned and hugged me. That moment of loving and centering was very powerful for me as I was about to literally step into a new role. Clearly, I had no idea at the time that the picture was being taken, so when I saw the picture for the first time… Well, let’s just say there were a lot of happy tears.



Another one that also gets me choked up is this one below. 2 of my sibs played my processional song. As I processed with my Dad, I looked over at my bridesmaids and maids of honor. They were all smiling and singing along. It was all I could do to keep myself together, as seen in the picture. Everything was just so good in that moment, I thought I was going to explode into a tearful explosion of happiness and light.



While writing this post, I asked James what his thought/reflection was on our first year of marriage. He said I was a good ‘getting through the crazy’ partner. For a second, I was a little bummed by his answer. I think I was expecting something goopy and saccharine. But then I realized what he meant. We make a great team. A damn good, humbled by the awesome and each other, laugh with each other, support and challenge each other team. And if the last year has done anything, it has solidified our team all the more.

The other day a friend of mine asked me what word I would use to describe my relationship with James. Two words jumped to my mind immediately, one a millisecond faster than the other.

The first was ‘hilarious’. The second one was ‘genuine’. I decided to share both with my friend because they are both pretty accurate. There is a lot of goofy hilarity in our relationship as well as genuine respect, work, and love.

So here's to the first year of what I know will be an ongoing adventure full of laughter, honest learning, humbling moments, pancakes, family, friends, and my most amazing partner in crime, James:)

No comments:

Post a Comment